MLK Weekend Youth Sports News Roundup
By Melissa Wickes
January 17, 2024
Chances are, your long weekend was filled with tournaments rather than reading, so we’ve summarized everything you need to know in youth sports from the last week.
We’re discussing the new California tackle football ban, referee abuse, LIGHT helmets, and more. Read on!
This Weekend’s Wins
Tav Houston13 Adidas won GOLD in 13Open/14 Premier at MLK Invitational—remaining undefeated this season.
Legacy Volleyball Club saw a lot of success this weekend at the Nike Classic—with 11 teams finishing in the top ten!
Manhattan Kickers FCU8, U12, and U9 all won their futsal tournaments!
United Volleyball Club 18 Adidas are the Houston MLK Invitational CHAMPS!
Gulfside Volleyball16U Prime team are the 16U Open Division Champs, with a 9-0 record!
Lone Star Field Hockey’s Caroline Naifeh committed to Rhodes College—congrats Caroline! Also, congrats to the Lone Star FHC 2023 Nexus Championship selections!
Congrats to the John Jay Youth Lacrosse 7th and 8th grade wolves for taking home the championship at the 2024 Hudson Valley Fast Break Tournament!
Eastern Volleyball Academy 16-1 Schroeder were the 16 Open Champions this weekend in Atlantic City—winning a bid to Nationals!
Congrats to 15 Premier Purple USA South Volleyball on the 15 OPEN Championship and the 15 Premier Purple 14 OPEN Championship at the Florida MLK Showcase!
Tribe Volleyball Tribe 17 Elite Cardinal are the 17U Open Champs at the MLK Invitational!
Congrats to the Bay Area Volleyball Club 16 Sal on placing 1st at the Cal Kickoff this weekend!
Synergy Volleyball Club congrats on your MLK Kickoff Challenge success—14 Tornado, 15 Silicon, 17 Uranium, 18 Magnesium, 13 Avalanche, 15 Titanium.
Congrats 10UA and 14UA Dallas Penguins on your championships!
Shoutout to 1st Alliance VBC 18 White for going 8-1 and finishing second in 18 American at the WCNQ this weekend!
Congrats Platform Volleyball Club 13Adidas for winning the LOVB Challenge series at TBK!
Club Fusion 18-APEX took home the gold and qualified for Nationals during the Windy City Qualifier this weekend!
Congrats Virginia Elite Volleyball 17s for placing first in the 17s Open Division at Volley by the James!
Congratulations Mackenzie Russell of Cleveland Force Soccer Club on committing to the University of Dayton and Stacy Barresi who is headed to Southern Utah University!
Congratulations Karli Harward of Rebels SCon her commitment to the University of Alabama at Birmingham!
Congratulations to Brittan Gulick ofTeam 180 Laxon her commitment to Missouri Western State University!
Meet the players and coaches who are defining West and Southwest Orange County sports
Do you share your wins on social? Tag us @LeagueAppsso we can repost!
1. A new California state lawthat would ban tackle football for kids under 12 is being considered by a legislative committee that regulates sports in the state. The ban comes as a result of heightened concern over concussions and the growing popularity of flag football. Opponents say it takes away the ability for parents to decide their children’s activities, puts California youth players behind, and cuts off some children from a source of exercise.
What do you think about the law? Share your thoughts on social and tag @LeagueApps so we can see!
2. [VIDEO] Drone soccer makes its debut in Las Vegas. (Does this remind anyone else of Quidditch?)
3. LIGHT Helmets, the lightest protective sports headgear in the world, are disrupting the headgear market within professional, amateur, and youth sports. LIGHT Helmets weigh 3-4 pounds, which is approximately 40% lighter than the average football helmet, which reduces the potential impact of blows to the head as well as head/neck strain and player fatigue.
4. A Marjory Stoneman Douglas student started a running clinicthat raises money in support of a Little League scholarship fund, with the goal of giving more kids access to the spot and helping others stay in shape during the off-season.
5. The Seattle Mariners partnered with Major League Baseball to establish the 2023 All-Star Legacy Initiative, which seeks to address equity gaps to expand access to youth baseball and softball in the greater Seattle community.
6. A 45-year study that analyzed adolescent fitness test data with information on diabetes, hypertension, and coronary heart diseaselinked low fitness in youth to a higher cardiometabolic risk.
7. The fourth Winter Youth Olympic Games will be held in Korea this year, and six youth athletes have been selected to represent the U.S.
8. Ripken Baseball’s All-Ripken Games will expand this year—with more facilities and tournaments than ever before. The games, sponsored by Under Armour this year, will occur in South Carolina, Kentucky, Ohio, Tennessee, Maryland, and Florida.
9. The NCAA announced a new eight-year broadcast deal with ESPNfor over $900 million with women’s college sports making up the bulk of the deal.
10. [VIDEO] Best Plays of the 2023 Northwest Region Tournament in the Little League Baseball World Series
What do you think? Tag us in your thoughts on social @LeagueApps
1. Brandon Miller of the Charlotte Hornets advocates for the elimination of a policy that prohibits students who have been convicted of a felony from participating in interscholastic athletics. Here’s what he thinks.
2. MLB’s Tony Reagins discusses youth development
The Youth Sports Highlight Reel
Do you want content like this in your inbox first thing every Tuesday morning? Subscribe to the Youth Sports Highlight Reel—the only newsletter for all things youth sports each week.